Articles by Special Needs Alliance Members
- "Reflections on Developmental Disabilities Awareness Month"
Reginald H. Turnbull, CELA, March 14, 2013
- "When a Sibling Has Special Needs"
Bernard A. Krooks, Esq., March 1, 2013
- "Family Members Should Consider Trust Protector Role"
Robert B. Fleming, CELA, February 19, 2013
- "Guardianship and Mental Illness"
Martha C. Brown, January 3, 2013
- "SNA Testifies Before Senate on VA Pension Eligibility"
Lois Zerrer, October 11, 2012
- "Microboards and Guardianship: A Team Approach"
Ann McGee Green, Esq., September 26, 2012
- "Supreme Court Healthcare Decision a Special Needs Boon"
Morris Klein, CELA, July 12, 2012
- "10 Must-have documents for parents of children with special needs"
Bernard A. Krooks, Friendship Circle Blog, June 12, 2012
- "Appealing Denials of Insurance Coverage"
Shirley B. Whitenack, Esq., SpecialNeeds.com, April 12, 2012
- "Being Heard: The Voting Rights of Individuals with Disabilities"
Stephen W. Dale, Esq., April 11, 2012
- "How Can I Get Involved in Development Disabilities Awareness Month in March?"
Bernard A. Krooks, CELA, Forbes.com, March 1, 2012
- March Is Developmental Disabilities Awareness Month
Robert B. Fleming, CELA
- The Untapped Talent of Workers with Disabilities
Jefferey M. Yussman, Esq.
- Tax Planning for Families With Special Needs
- Self-Advocacy's Growing Momentum
Martha C. Brown
- Education Rights & High Functioning Autism
Amy C O'Hara & Sheryl R. Frishman, Autism Spectrum News
- Elder Law: Special needs trusts enhance lives of those with disabilities
Julian Gray & Frank Petrich, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
- Medicaid Agency Claims Against Personal Injury Recoveries of Beneficiaries
Ron Landsman, Trial Reporter, p. 9, Fall 2011
- Getting Medicaid to Pay for Care BEFORE Eligibility
Ron Landsman, Trial Reporter, p. 33, Fall 2011
- New Legislation Increases Utility of Special Needs Trusts
Jason Frank, Trial Reporter, p. 17, Fall 2011
- Advance Care Planning: Respecting End-of-Life Choices
by Doris E. Hawks
- "Managing Alzheimer's--straight talk and planning"
by Bernard A Krooks
- Providing for a Loved One Through Special Needs Trusts
by Shirley B. Whitenack
- Special Needs Settlement Planning: Preserving Public Benefits and Enhancing the Injured Party's Quality of Life
by Shirley B. Whitenack and Regina M. Spielberg
- Planning for Your Child's Future... What Every Family of a Child with Special Needs Ought to Know
by Bridget O'Brien Swartz
- A Distinction with a Difference: A Narrow Reading of Hobbs v. Zenderman (10th Cir. Sept. 1, 2009)
by Kemp Scales
- Chart of Eligibility & Comparability Statutes
See also: SSI and Medicaid Eligibility For Beneficiaries of Self (embedded comment to cells C-10 & E-10)
- The Ahlborn Case and What it Means to Recoveries
by H. Amos Goodall, Jr.
- Taxation of Special Needs Trusts
by Dennis Sandoval, CELA
A two-part article that first appeared in the NAELA News, published by the National Academy of Elder law Attorneys.
- What is a "Qualified Disability Trust" for Federal Income Tax Purposes?
by Ron M. Landsman and Robert Fleming
- Dealing with Special Needs Trusts and Retirement Benefits
by Edward V. Wilcenski and Tara Anne Pleat
In planning for individuals with disabilities, advisors will find themselves wrestling with the often irreconcilable rules of the tax and public benefit financing systems. Yet there may be some planning options that will allow the best of both worlds.
New from SNA
The SNA Capitol Connection
A report on public policy issues impacting individuals with special needs