Helpful Links for Families and Individuals with Special Needs
Advocacy Groups and Service Providers
- ABLE National Resource Center The Special Needs Alliance and ABLE National Resource Center collaborate on efforts to educate individuals with disabilities, their families and other stakeholders on how ABLE accounts and special needs trusts (SNTs) can contribute to improved quality of life.
- Accredited Online Colleges Guide for Online Colleges & Disabilities
- Affordable Colleges Online College resources for students with disabilities
- The Arc
- Autism Hangout
- Autism Society of America
- Autism Speaks
- Cerebral Palsy Guide
- Cerebral Palsy Guidance
- College for Students with Disabilities: A Guide for Students, Families and Educators
- Financial Aid for Students with Disabilities
- Hearing Loss Association of America
- Learning Disabilities Association of America
- National Alliance on Mental Illness
- National Autism Center
- National Council for Aging Care
- National Down Syndrome Society
- National Multiple Sclerosis Society
- Operation Autism for Military Families
- Stewart Home & School
- The Cerebral Palsy Group
- United Cerebral Palsy
- Williams Syndrome Changing Lives Foundation
- Pooled Trust Directory, by state. Inclusion in this listing does not imply endorsement by the Special Needs Alliance.
- Medicaid Long-Term Care Guide (organized by state)
- Office of Disability Employment Policy
- Social Security Disability Benefits
- TSA Helpline for Travelers with Disabilities
SNA attorneys understand that informed clients make the best planning decisions. Here is a list of financial services companies that have made a significant commitment to the Special Needs Planning area. Feel free to click on the links below to visit those websites that may be of interest to you. Please be aware that these links are provided as a convenience and for information purposes only, and their presence does not constitute a referral or endorsement by SNA. Information regarding states in which these firms are legally authorized to conduct business has been self-reported and not confirmed by SNA.
If you are a representative of a financial services company that has made a similar investment in the Special Needs Planning area and would like to be included as a reference for our members and the families we represent, please contact the Special Needs Alliance by emailing our staff at Sandi@specialneedsalliance.org so that we may learn more about you. We are interested in highlighting organizations with at least a regional focus, meaning they are legally authorized to open an office, hold meetings and/or market services in more than one state, or work with SNA members from more than one state..
- Advocacy Wealth Management
Advocacy Wealth Management (AWM) designs portfolios of predictable cash flows and conservation of invested principal. AWM works nationally with clients who need more than just basic planning to meet their unique needs. Call (800) 633-2967 or visit advocacywealth.com to learn more.
- Capital First Trust Company
Capital First Trust Company is a state chartered and regulated trust company created with the sole intent of providing trust services to personal injury victims and their families throughout the country. First Capital has a particular expertise and interest in serving as trustee for: special needs trusts, settlement preservation trusts, medical trusts, education trusts, directed trusts, funeral trusts and asset protection trusts.
- Certified Financial Planner™ professionals
- Cumberland Trust
- First International Bank & Trust First International Bank & Trust is a corporate trustee that is unique in the services it provides. As a corporate trustee, we are able to provide services throughout the country. First International Bank & Trust has a niche in special needs trust administration, and will serve as corporate trustee for accounts with as little as $100,000 investable cash for a competitive minimum fee. We are willing and able to serve on court-monitored accounts and are not afraid to deal with unique assets and special circumstances. As a corporate trustee, First International Bank & Trust respects the pre-existing relationships that a client has with other professionals, and we welcome the opportunity to work collaboratively with the client’s team of professionals. First International Bank & Trust is willing and able to serve as corporate trustee with a third party financial advisor who is responsible for investing the assets, while being the party responsible for otherwise administering the trust.
- Forge Consulting Forge Consulting is a General Agency passionately representing injured parties across multiple disciplines, creating balanced and transparent solutions which cater to each individual’s wants, needs, and fears through education and competition in every applicable category.
- Garden State Trust Company
Garden State Trust Company is a premier provider of fiduciary services qualified to do business in New Jersey, providing investment management, trust and estate services. Trustee services for special needs trusts are an integral part of our business. Garden State Trust was founded on three very simple guiding principles – communication, objectivity and above all trust.
Members of our management team have decades of experience providing clients with the peace of mind of knowing they have access to a comprehensive array of services designed to meet their needs today and tomorrow.
Garden State Trust Company is a trust service office of Midwest Trust Company, a Kansas non-depository trust company regulated and examined by the Office of the State Banking Commissioner of Kansas.
- Key Private Bank
At Key Private Bank, we understand you want more out of a financial institution than simply a return on your investment. You want outcomes – and no single path can lead you there without the occasional detour or diversion.
That’s why Key Private Bank looks at wealth management differently. It’s beyond growing your net worth and delivering a monthly statement. Wealth management is about opportunities – opportunities to explore your world. Collect new experiences. Do the things you’re passionate about. Share your success with the people who are important to you. Or just take it easy. It’s about having the confidence of knowing you have a plan that accounts for all of them.
That’s our approach: focused, personalized solutions from experienced financial professionals who are ready to help you navigate whatever paths lie ahead of you.
When you entrust Key Private Bank with your finances, you’re not just a client, but a partner. We start every relationship by ensuring we understand you and work together to set a plan. As we move forward, we stay connected, working with you to reach your goals through actionable and integrated wealth strategies that align with your interests and expectations, and a personalized plan that delivers the best possible return on your objectives. We have a fiduciary responsibility to deliver sound advice, and with full transparency, we will always make recommendations that are best suited for you.
Take the next step, meet a financial planning team near you.
- MASS MUTUAL – Financial Group
- McGrath Consulting at UBS Financial Services Inc.
McGrath Consulting helps families and individuals, especially those with special needs, plan for near term and lifelong goals. We provide objective advice to trustees, attorneys, accountants and allied professionals, helping them effectively serve their clients. Our staff consists of CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professional, Chartered Special Needs Consultant® and Financial Paraplanner Qualified Professional™ practitioners.
Clients benefit from proactive service, including: intergenerational planning, prompt response and scheduled monthly contacts with quarterly reviews. Relationships are highlighted by financial planning, special needs planning, investment advisory and insurance services as well as fiduciary support for trustees and conservators.
Based in Atlanta, GA, we are licensed throughout the southeast and able to assist clients nationwide.
- MERRILL LYNCH – Individual Investors
- Midland Trust Company
Midland Trust Company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Midland States Bank with offices in Illinois, New York and Missouri.
Midland advocates for trust beneficiaries and their families with empathy and respect and is experienced in finding solutions for unique circumstances.
- Delivers one-on-one service with a dedicated administrator
- Administers OBRA ‘93 trusts, which are also referred to as supplemental needs trusts, special needs trusts, 1st party special needs trusts or self-settled special needs trusts
- Administers 3rd party special needs trusts
- Provides guardian of the estate administration for minors and disabled adults
- Has multi-lingual staff
- Milestone Consulting Milestone Consulting believes that injured plaintiffs deserve their own advocates during settlement. Milestone assists plaintiffs’ attorneys with any settlement-related needs their clients might have, including government benefits preservation, trust planning, Medicare Set-Asides, cash preservation and annuities.
- National Structured Settlements Trade Association (NSSTA)
- TEAM Risk Management Strategies
TEAM Risk Management Strategies (www.team-risk.com) is a leading provider of outsourced household employment services. We offer nationwide employer of record services to fiduciaries who manage trusts, estates, and guardianships which directly employ caregivers or other service providers.
We provide a seamless solution to address both the hassles of employee administration as well as the considerable risk of employment-related liability. In addition to handling payroll processing, TEAM manages all recordkeeping and tax reporting, and provides full-service access to human resources and compliance experts. To ensure that fiduciaries and trust assets are fully protected, TEAM provides comprehensive workplace insurance and liability coverage, as well as compliance with ever-changing employment law.
TEAM has served hundreds of the nation’s most prominent banks and financial institutions over the last 15 years and employs thousands of people in all 50 states.
- True Link Financial
True Link Financial offers a suite of technology-based solutions and investment services designed specifically for special needs trusts, including the True Link Prepaid Visa® Card and software to manage disbursements, accounting, and reporting for trusts. The reloadable card simplifies managing disbursements and can be customized to work only where and when beneficiaries need it to, which is why the Social Security Administration has provided guidelines in the POMS for using the True Link Card to make disbursements from SNTs and protect SSI benefits (refer to POMS 01120201.i1e). True Link Financial Advisors, the company’s investment advisory arm dedicates its more than 150 years of financial expertise to serving thousands of pooled and individual special needs trustees and beneficiaries throughout the United States. The company is proud to partner with trustees, fiduciaries, families, and individual consumers to protect independence and increase quality of life.
- Wells Fargo Special Needs Trust Group