Roundup: Inheritances/Caregivers/Court Filings

SNA attorneys have ongoing involvement with the wide-ranging issues faced by individuals with disabilities, their families and the professionals who serve them. Below is a sampling of posts from member blogs and newsletters.

The grandparents of my child with special needs left him an inheritance. What do we do?
Without special needs planning, a well-intentioned inheritance can leave someone ineligible for means-tested benefits.

Caring for Caregivers
Too often, the sacrifices made by caregivers go unrecognized, and they need their own support network.

Failure to File Court Accounting Ends Up Being Costly
Guardians and conservators are required to file regular financial reports with the court. It’s not a responsibility to be taken lightly.



  1. Lillian Wilburn June 23, 2017 at 11:49 am

    I have a grandson who has been in the same daycare fir over two years. The director was let go for reasons to do with money isdues .The new person in charge told my faughter he can no longer attend because he has to many special needs. He has cochlear implants. He is not as needy as they are saying . Is this legal

  2. Sandra Lewinski September 7, 2017 at 1:03 pm

    I am the great grandmother of a 19 month old with annoxic brain injury. My granddaughter is alone and in need of help with housing and utility . also would appreciate a list of all resources available we need all help possible.

    • Cathy Bahan September 8, 2017 at 1:10 pm

      One thing to do is to contact your granddaughter’s state and local government agencies that address issues relating to disabilities.

  3. sara Patterson May 11, 2018 at 8:59 pm

    I am on SSi disability and was homeless for some time I just receive my SNT
    I had excellent credit and use my card mostly for Verizon wireless and fuel and insurance internet service etc
    Would My SNT be able to pay off the loan as long as the items were not food, rent over the last two years

Leave A Comment